Who We Are
What is the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board?
The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board (WMMB) is a non-profit organization funded entirely by Wisconsin's dairy farm families. Our goal is to increase the sale and consumption of Wisconsin milk and dairy products.
WMMB is farmer-owned and farmer-directed. Our 25 dairy farmer board members are elected by their peers for three-year terms. WMMB’s farmer-directors have direct involvement in planning and monitoring the organization’s marketing and promotional programs which are conducted by a staff of marketing, research and communications professionals.
When was WMMB formed and how is it funded?
In 1983, Wisconsin dairy farmers voted to establish a milk marketing order which created WMMB. For every 100 pounds of milk produced and marketed in the state, ten cents goes to WMMB to promote Wisconsin-produced dairy products. An additional five cents goes to the National Dairy Promotion & Research Board for generic dairy promotion activities at the national level.
What is WMMB's mission and role?
Our primary mission is to "Grow demand for Wisconsin milk." Key WMMB roles within Wisconsin’s dairy industry include: working to establish new markets, funding dairy-related research, educating consumers about the quality and nutritional importance of Wisconsin milk and dairy products, and showcasing the important economic contribution that dairy makes to our communities and our state.
Where and how does WMMB promote Wisconsin dairy products?
WMMB has a comprehensive array of promotional resources, programs and merchandising tools that touch every link in the state and national food marketing chain.
At the national level:
- WMMB's Regional Marketing Managers work with Wisconsin companies and national grocery and foodservice operators and distributors to ensure that the more than 600 varieties, types and styles of Wisconsin cheese are available and promoted in all major U.S. markets. These regional marketing experts provide a vital link between Wisconsin’s dairy business and a customer base of more than 300 million consumers.
- WMMB's communications, advertising and public relations activities involve national food industry and consumer media outlets and showcase the products, people and expertise that set Wisconsin apart from the rest of the U.S. dairy industry.
- Cheese education materials, promotional seminars and Wisconsin industry tours help food distributors, brokers, chefs and food writers experience the taste, versatility and marketability of our cheeses and see why our licensed cheesemakers win more awards than any other state or nation.
- Year-round seasonal cheese promotion and merchandising programs feature in-store point-of-sale materials, recipes, advertising, and in-store demonstrations which help grocery stores build excitement and sales for Wisconsin cheese.
At the state and local levels:
- WMMB supports the Wisconsin Center for Dairy Research (CDR) at UW Madison – a world class dairy research and applications facility that works closely with our state’s manufacturers to make sure that our cheese and dairy products meet the highest standards for quality and safety. CDR also helps develop new cutting edge applications for dairy ingredients.
- More than 60 County Dairy Leader Groups receive WMMB support to help them showcase and promote our dairy industry in local communities across in Wisconsin. These dedicated volunteers help spread positive dairy messages through local dairy promotions, farm tours and dairy education programs in our schools.
- The Wisconsin Dairy Council, the nutrition education arm of WMMB, has six regional program managers throughout Wisconsin who work with school foodservice staff and teachers to promote the nutritional benefits of dairy products for students. WDC staff also works with Wisconsin's Alice in Dairyland and state media outlets to educate Wisconsin residents about the role of dairy products in a healthy diet.